Sunday 27 February 2011

In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?

In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?

There are endless ways in which my media products use and develop the codes and conventions media texts taken from the real world. I tried not to challenge these conventions as much as possible as my aim was to devote my film as a homage to all of the 'old school' monster films that time has forgotten due to their replacement of newer sequels and remake with the advancements that have taken place in technology since there creation. There are however, certain angles in which my products disagree with a few of the codes and conventions.

I first created my poster so i will begin by talking about that particular task, followed by my magazine cover. The main code and convention, and by far one of the most important, that i used and developed here was the bold, block capital title of the production, G-DAY. This is very similar to most other film posters as it must be, and is, clear and easy to read, and above all, stands out. It's the main focus of the poster and therefore needs be large and interesting, catching the eye of any passing by potential consumers. I have used this code and convention on my poster by making the poster one of the most dominate parts, consuming the bottom-middle and bottom-left thirds.

Second, i will discuss the main image. This is something all posters to my knowledge have in common in terms of codes nad conventions, as the fact that they have one( and not none). The code and convention of film posters is to include an image of some of the characters contained in the film, often just the one character, be it robot, human or otherwise. In some cases, posters have been know to show a sillouette or half of a face. I chose to not aim my poster towards the heroin, but towards the monster involved. There were two reasons for this. The first was that the majority of other monster themed films went in this direction, and the second was that human characters depicted in my trailer/film do not dominate much screen-time. The of the main part of the film is the rampaging gorilla through a city/town. I felt that depicting the gorilla in front of a possible military base attracts the younger target audience that I am aiming for, in order to revive the partially lost style of monster-movies.


The next code and convention that I followed was to advertise the actors names across the top of the poster. The reason for this being that there fame could also help sell my product to the consumer and to give them credit for their part in the film.


The next code and convention that I used was the depiction  of the film information. This is always located somewhere at the bottom of the poster offering some publicity to the other names encorperated with the creation of the film. this is always in Block Capitals, with the lesser words such as 'the', 'and' and 'is' being a smaller size of font. By keeping this code and convention on my poster I used and developed the codes and conventions of real media texts.

The last notible code and convention used was the the release date. This is a vital point which is often an exact date or more often 'coming soon', informing the audience to keep looking out for it.

The role of any movie poster is to advertise the film to the potential consumers by informing the audience what the film involves, which genre it is and when the film can be expected. I feel that my Poster has met this criteria.

No comments:

Post a Comment